Monday, August 27, 2007

How did I save 100 dollar for my property tax in 1 min?


I received a property tax bill two months ago for one of my property in Texas. The tax bill was shocking as it use the new appraised market value as the basis to calculate my tax. The market was fast and appreciating since last year and price jump from the price I bought. To keep the long story short, my tax bill increase from $2800 to $3500! I'm not very happy and I decide to appeal although I have no idea how the procedure works.
A phone appointment is setup for me to talk with appraisers. The rule is if we don't get consent, we'll have to go to next step to bring to the court. I just thought, "ok, give it a shot, worst case I just have to pay the tax"
Here's the 1 min conversation
After verifying my identity..
Appraiser: so, what do you think the property worth
529pm: well, I know it's definitely cheaper than your appraised price.
Appraiser: how much?
529pm: 3000 less than your appraised value...I think
Appraiser: Ok, I'm very busy, I will not spend time arguing with you over 3000 dollar. You have it. Give me your fax # and you can sign the paper.
....After I heard him say that, I thought to myself, "man, I should have told him 5000 or even more" Anyhow, it's a good experience. After reducing the property value by 3000, I still manage to save about 100 dollar with 1 min work, although I could have saved more $D

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I am going to buy a house in future. Please tell me how I should proceed.

Unknown said...

um...........
that is very interesting story, good...
do you have pic for your texas house, wanna take a look b/c of my curiocity..thanks

i heard that the people work in texas are kind of lazy and slow.

529pm said...

hello philip,
thx for your kind comment, keep coming back 529pm.blogspot.com . click on the Real estate section, I will post all my knowledage about real estate in that area every single day. Thank you.